Week of March 16 - March 22, 2018
FLORENCE AVENUE INTERCHANGE PROJECT
This project is 60% complete.
The City of Santa Fe Springs has tentatively scheduled the closure of Florence Ave. at the Florence Ave. bridge for three nights the week of Monday, Mar. 19. Details are pending.
Southbound I-5 overnight full freeway closures to pour concrete for bridge columns and column footings are scheduled for:
Each night Sunday, Mar. 18 through the night of Thursday, Mar. 22:
• Southbound I-5 all lanes closed from I-605 to Norwalk Blvd. from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m.
• Northbound and southbound I-605 connector ramps to southbound I-5 closed from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
These closures are scheduled for separate nights and will re-open each morning. If rain causes excessive flooding in the below-ground construction area, these closures will be postponed. Please go to our Planned Lane Closure web page for confirmation of each night at:
Please be aware that there is also an ongoing overnight repaving project on southbound I-5 between Washington Blvd. and I-605 Wednesday nights through Saturday nights as weather permits. At least one lane open at all times.
Detours signs will be in place. Consider using southbound I-710 (Long Beach Freeway) or southbound I-605 to eastbound State Route 91 (Artesia Freeway) as alternate routes.
Rebar for bridge columns and footings below ground in the median of I-5 north of the Florence Ave. Bridge pictured below:
The construction of both retaining walls and the bridge abutment along the Florence Ave. on ramp to northbound I-5 is almost complete. Once the retaining walls are complete, the area against the walls will be backfilled. Then construction of the sound wall on top of the retaining wall near Longworth Avenue can begin. Construction of sound walls along the east side of I-5 in this area are projected to be complete around August. Abutment and retaining walls (below):
Installation of a drainage system that will drain water from the east side of I-5 to the west side of I-5 is complete. This will alleviate flooding issues along Longworth Ave.
IMPERIAL HIGHWAY AND PIONEER BOULEVARD PROJECT
Construction on this project is 79% complete.
- Imperial Highway is scheduled to be closed from Adore Ave. to the Frontage Rd. on the night of Tuesday, Mar. 20 from 8:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. to allow a concrete pour on the top side of the Imperial Highway Bridge. The Imperial Highway off ramp from southbound I-5 will remain open, but traffic will only be able to turn right or to go straight. Detour map below:
- Norwalk Blvd. / San Antonio Dr. is tentatively scheduled to be closed between Adore St. and Olive St. on the nights of Tuesday, Apr. 3, Wednesday, Apr. 4, and possibly Thursday, Apr. 5 from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. to allow installation of girders across the second half of the San Antonio Bridge.(Detour map below).
- This will also require the closure of up to two lanes on northbound I-5 from Silverbow Ave. to Pioneer Ave. and the northbound Norwalk Blvd. off ramp.
The top of the Imperial Highway Bridge almost ready for concrete pour (below):
I-5 from Silverbow Ave. north all the way up to Pionner Blvd. is in varying stages of progress with crews spreading base (gravel), grading, compacting and paving. This activity includes compaction with a vibratory roller, so residents in the nearby neighborhoods may experience noise and vibration during the day. This past week crews have been paving lanes between the Imperial Highway Bridge and the Pioneer Blvd. Bridge (below):
As crews work on Imperial Highway, Norwalk Boulevard, and Pioneer Boulevard bridges at I-5, one lane in each direction may be closed on each street (at I-5) during the daytime, between 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
Upcoming changes: In April, Norwalk Blvd / San Antonio Dr, will be closed for two nights as we install girders across the second half of the San Antonio Bridge.
Flyers were distributed to all homes along the designated construction portion of Mondon Avenue and the corresponding cul-de-sacs (below):
ROSECRANS AVENUE & BLOOMFIELD AVENUE BRIDGE PROJECT
Construction on this project is 97% complete. The work that remains will include landscaping, electrical work, striping and other finishing work.
Shoemaker Ave. at S. Firestone Blvd. has been repaved and restriped.
Map below. Yellow and red = closed portions of roadway.
CARMENITA ROAD INTERCHANGE PROJECT
All work has been completed on the Carmenita Road Interchange project.
VALLEY VIEW AVENUE INTERCHANGE PROJECT
Construction on this project is 26% complete.
Completion of first half of Valley View Ave. Bridge: Approximately March of 2019.
Completion of second half of Valley View Ave. Bridge: Approximately December of 2020.
Completion of entire I-5 Valley View Ave. Interchange project: Approximately early 2021.
Overnight full freeway closures of northbound I-5 between Beach Blvd. and Valley View Ave. to move K-rail and re-stripe lanes have been rescheduled for the nights of Sunday, Mar. 25, Monday, Mar. 26, and Tuesday, Mar. 27. Closures are subject to change and are as follows:
- Northbound I-5 all lanes are scheduled to be closed from Beach Blvd. to Valley View Ave. from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. on the night of Monday, Mar.25 and repeating for the next two nights. If possible, the contractor will keep at least one lane open the nights of Tuesday, Mar. 26 and Wednesday, Mar. 27.
- During northbound full freeway closures:
- The westbound and eastbound SR-91 connectors to northbound I-5 will be closed.
- Vehicles will not be able to enter or exit I-5 at the Gateway Dr. ramps.
- The Beach Blvd. and Artesia Blvd. on ramps to northbound I-5 will be closed.
- Southbound I-5 at least one lane will remain open between Alondra Blvd. and Artesia Blvd. from 10 p.m to 5 a.m.
Detours during northbound I-5 full freeway closures:
- Westbound SR-91 to either northbound I-605 or northbound I-710 to rejoin northbound I-5.
- For local traffic, detour signs will be posted and traffic will be taken off of northbound I-5 at the Beach Blvd. exit, right onto Auto Center Dr. to go north on Beach Blvd., west on Artesia Blvd, west on N. Firestone Blvd. to rejoin northbound I-5 at the Gateway Dr. on ramp. There will be flaggers on N. Firestone Blvd. at the intersections at Knott Ave. and at Trojan Way. (Detour map below):
Pictures below show stages of progress on the bridge abutment west of Valley View Ave. and northeast of I-5. We are now building falsework:
The Valley View Ave. Bridge between Arbor Place & the railroad tracks pictured below: A view from beneath before and after the soffet was built (below):
The top side of the bridge March 8 and March 13 (below):
On Firestone Blvd between Valley View Ave and Gateway Drive, the median has been paved. March 8 and March 13 (below):
Over the next week the contractor will remove this block wall (below):
Valley View Ave. will be elevated to meet with the new Valley View Ave. Bridge. In turn, N. Firestone Blvd. will be elevated to meet Valley View Ave. In preparation for these modifications, N. Firestone Blvd. will be reduced to one lane in each direction between Gateway Dr. and Valley View Ave. This change is tentatively scheduled to occur over one night on either Monday, Mar. 26 or Tuesday, Mar. 27.
- Access to all businesses between Gateway Drive and Valley View Avenue will remain open.
- Trucks over 2,500 lbs. and/ or longer than 25 feet will not be permitted to:
- Drive on this portion of N. Firestone Blvd.
- Exit northbound I-5 and turn left to Valley View Avenue.
- Turn left or right onto Firestone Blvd. from Valley View Avenue.
The instersection of Valley View Ave. at N. Firestone Blvd. is pictured below:
By *late April, the existing N. Firestone Boulevard will close for more than one year between Knott Avenue and Trojan Way in La Mirada for demolition to prepare for the widening of I-5 and to allow demolition and reconstruction of the bridge over Coyote Creek. N. Firestone Boulevard will be rebuilt to the east. Private business access will only be permitted to Osmond Ave. In preparation, flyers will be distributed to businesses in the immediate area and signs will be placed in strategic locations in the neighborhood advising of the forthcoming closure. Map below:
|Construction of two retaining walls south of the Valley View Avenue bridge by S. Firestone continues. Crews will pour concrete footings next week and continue abutment work on the Valley View Avenue bridge. .
*DISCLAIMER: Due to the dynamic nature of construction, please note that all dates and times are subject to change due to unforeseen operational factors or inclement weather.
For information regarding upcoming closures, detours and other construction activity, be sure to check out the project Google map
. This map will be updated in real time, with the latest information regarding project construction. Click the image below to view the map.