The Building & Safety Division's focus is to enhance the quality of life in Norwalk by providing for life-safety, safeguarding property and protecting public welfare through consistent enforcement of the adopted codes. It is responsible for the implementation and enforcement of city and state codes relating to the construction, remodeling, alteration, repair and demolition of buildings and structures located within the city to ensure that buildings and structures are built to minimum standards to safeguard life or limb, health, property and public welfare. This is accomplished through a comprehensive plan review, permit issuance and construction inspection process. Once a permit is obtained, City building inspectors visit the property at predetermined intervals to ensure that the construction is accomplished in compliance with the approved plans and the applicable Building and Municipal Codes. Adherence to the Building Code ensures that each project meets the minimum state safety standards, which in turn helps preserve the value of the buildings and structures.
The City has a knowledgeable Building and Safety staff who are available to assist you with whatever questions or needs you may have. If you have any questions regarding improvements you are considering or other building-related concerns, please do not hesitate to contact Building and Safety staff during regular business hours.
Anthony Weimholt is the City's ADA Coordinator. He can be reached at (562) 929-5733 or email@example.com.
The Building and Safety Division issues permits for all new construction or modifications to existing developments (commercial, residential or industrial) in the City. Building permits are required to build, construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, improve, remove, convert or demolish any building or structure. Permits are also required for most plumbing, mechanical and electrical improvements.
The City has a knowledgeable Building and Safety staff who is available to assist you with whatever questions or needs you may have. You may make an appointment to see a Permit Technician by calling Building & Safety at (562) 929-5733 or seeing a representative in Room 12. Appointments are available every workday from 9 - 11 a.m. and 2:30 - 4:30 p.m. Please note that having an appointment means that the customer will be the next in line if the Permit Technicians are busy assisting other customers. The Plan Check and Permit Application is available for download from the City's Online Document page.
- Permit issuance hours: Monday through Thursday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on alternative Fridays.
- Contractor must obtain City Business License.
- Contractor must show pocket license and Workman's Compensation made to State Contractor's Board.
- Permit may be issued to the property owner (as shown on the Grant Deed). Owner must show California ID and sign Owner Builder Declaration taking responsibility for project.
- Site plan, floor plan, and building elevations (foundation plan, framing plan, roof plan, fixtures, and energy compliance) are required for all additions.
- All commercial work requires detailed plans.
- Initial plan check takes approximately 2 weeks.
- The Plan Check and Permit Application is available for download from the City's Online Document page.
- Building Codes Used:
- 2016 (CBC) California Building Code
- 2016 (CRC) California Residential Code
- 2016 (CPC) California Plumbing Code
- 2016 (CMC) California Mechanical Code
- 2016 (CEC) California Electrical Code
- 2016 (CALGreen) California Green Building Standards Code (Energy Standards)
- 2016 Los Angeles County Fire Code
Inspections are conducted between 9:00a.m.-5:00p.m. Monday - Thursday. Due to the City's alternative work schedule, City Hall is closed on alternate Fridays. On open Fridays, inspections are conducted between 9:00a.m. - 4:00p.m. For additional information, please contact the Building and Safety Division at (562) 929-5733 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Better Business Bureau
Better Business Bureau of the Southland
Serving Los Angeles and Orange Counties
P.O. Box 970
Colton, CA 92324
International Code Council
California Energy Commission